Friday, November 2, 2012

Homeless Awareness Month 30 Ways 30 Days - "Share This Calendar"

Share this calendar:



Why I support Homeless Awareness Month...

Honestly, I think a lot of people are a paycheck or two away from being homeless.  More so if you are single, dont have a lot of family, etc.

Without my parents, I probably would have been a month or two away from being homeless when I lost my job at Ambrosia Interior Design.  I was unemployed for just over a year... and unemployment is REALLY not enough to pay all of your standard bills here in Southern California (And elsewhere I am sure).  I started my own pet sitting business, and I also drove people to the airport and picked them up for extra cash - sometimes at 3am to LAX.  I did what I had to - but even then, without the support of my parents, I would have been in some serious trouble.

Last year I actually volunteered in a homeless shelter for the first time.  The Armory in Santa Ana is turned into a cold weather shelter for a few months, and I had driven by it for a few years, on my way home from work from Ambrosia and my job now... and I cried almost every single night seeing people in line.  Especially if there were kids.  I never knew how to help.  I finally found an AMAZING group on Meetup for volunteers and the guy who runs it lists SO many volunteer opportunities.  I volunteered quite a few times, but I remember my first time my mom called me as I got home and I couldnt even talk to her... I was crying so hard.

It was so humbling.  It was also so very sad.  I was listening to two women talk and one woman was saying she would be mortified if her son knew she was there, but she cant live with him... he has a nice two bedroom place but his girlfriend wont allow it.  If I was ever with someone who wouldnt let a needing family member stay with us while times were hard, THEY would be out.  I couldnt believe it and my heart ached for her.  There were so many people in there, just like me.  Of course you had the drunk people, the high people... but I didnt judge.  Something made them turn to drugs or alcohol to the point it made them homeless, and I am not there to judge anyone.  The entire experience broke my heart.

I collected quite a few items last year, and took them every time I went to volunteer and you have no idea how amazing it felt to see people in a shelter warm, because of something you took out of your own closet because you just didnt need it anymore.  I am collecting again - so anything you can give, is appreciated.

Socks (NEW)  HIGH DEMAND
Underwear (NEW - Mens and Womens)  HIGH DEMAND
Mens clothing HIGH DEMAND
Womens clothing
Blankets - Twin size
Hats / Gloves

Clean those closets, let me know what you have to donate!

I also will take a check / cash to go shopping for the above items.

No comments:

Post a Comment