Monday, November 10, 2014

Kernels of Kindness: Gift Cards for JFS

When I was unemployed, before working at my current job, unemployment paid my rent and my monthly bills (barely), and thats about it.  This was when I even got the checks, the entire time I was unemployed, my checks were messed up, and at one point they owed me over 2 months worth of money.  Without my parents, I would have easily been homeless before I could even blink.  I ended up being unemployed three times within a few years.  Once, I was terminated for no reason, after just receiving a good performance review and a raise, and the other two from one design firm when the housing market had its major crash. I did everything I could to supplement my income.  I started my own pet sitting business and also did pick-ups and drop-offs to anyone needing a ride to and from the airport, no matter what time of day or night it was.

My parents helped me with groceries and then came things like my car renewal, that there was no way I could pay.  Jewish Family Services paid my car renewal for me, which was amazing.

I took this opportunity to pay it forward, and donate $100 in gift cards to them.  It was so nice to catch up with Marcia today when I dropped them off.  She was so happy for me that everything is back on track, and we both couldnt believe that was over 4 years ago.  Time flies.  I am so thankful for the services JFS offers, they helped me and they have helped a friend of mine in the past, and I hope to pay it forward to them again in the future.


I wasnt expecting that writing this was actually going to be really emotional for me.  That was a hard time and a frustrating time, but I am so incredibly lucky to have such an amazing support system from my parents and close friends.  I love you all for getting me through those times... Thank You!

#KernelsOfKindness

No comments:

Post a Comment