Thursday, September 12, 2013

21 Day Kindness Challenge: Day 2

Todays act of kindness:
Reconnect with an old pal

A couple months ago, I realized I hadnt heard from a pretty good friend in a few months... which was strange.
We had plans often, and for us to just not talk - was not normal.
I finally reached out to her, and just asked how she was doing...
And really, I was just hoping she wasnt mad at me.
In life I often have people that either love me, or hate me.
I dont think there is really much of a medium.
I blame this on my blunt, honest mouth.
And I am ok with it :)

Anyway.
I hear back from my friend...
And instantly I feel like the worst person in the entire universe.
She had a brain hemorrhage / stroke.
I went to visit her in the rehabilitation home she was in...
It was intense.
I walked in, not realizing I guess I was supposed to ring a bell...
The whole thing is still a mystery to me, but anyway...
There are rooms with hospital type beds and I find my way to a nurse... and tell her I am here to see a friend, what am I supposed to do.  I look down to my left, and I think a triple take happened at this point.... my friend was next to me, in a wheelchair.
She had her head shaved, and a large scar in her hairline.
The visit was awkward, I think we were both nervous.
The smell was uncomfortable, the other patients were uncomfortable... and I only saw her in that rehabilitation center one time.

Since the visit, I have felt guilty, again, for not seeing her more.
How SELFISH of me.  
But honestly, I had a hard time.
Then I started thinking how SHE felt.
I asked her if I was able to take her for a walk when I came back, etc.  And I never went back.
She is now home, still recovering, and I have sent her a text - asking if I can come see her Sunday, and bring / have lunch with her.
I have no right having the fear I have and I need to suck it up and realize this is 0% about me, and I need to be there for a friend that I have clearly dropped the ball on being there for.

There are probably a ton of people I could have reached out to, today.  But I felt this was the most important.


No comments:

Post a Comment