Sunday, September 29, 2013

21 Day Kindness Challenge: Day 18

Day 18:  Make time to listen to someone

I volunteered at an event at South Coast Plaza where I sat at a booth for Orangewood.  Kids were able to come decorate bookmarks for free... and parents could take literature for Orangewood if interested.

I was planning to leave at 2, and at 1:55 a young boy came, with what I think was his grandfather... and I became a little annoyed.  Once I realized he had some disabilities, I forced myself to relax.  He stayed for about 20 minutes, and he made 2 bookmarks, and took a ton of extra pieces and put them all over his hat... 

But the entire time he was there, he was talking to me... and I just listened, and helped him when he needed help... and whenever he was done, was when I packed up to leave.  I had wanted to rush him through, and at first was slightly annoyed, but I stopped, realized I had nowhere to be, and just waited out, while he enjoyed himself and got some things off his chest.

The first duty of love is to listen. --Paul Tillich 

Day 18: Make Time To Listen To Someone

The Idea: Each day we amass such a wealth of experience. Joy, sorrow, hope, wonder, fear, love, disappointment, inspiration ... there is so much that a single life contains, and sometimes the greatest gift we have to give -- is that of simply listening to each other. So today's challenge is to make time to listen to someone in your life. Focus on listening deeply, without judgment and with total presence, to whatever they have to share, whether it's about their current struggles, highest aspirations or whatever else may be bubbling to the surface in the moment. Because sometimes the humble act of listening can do more to serve than even the most well-intentioned advice. If you want to step-it-up, make a commitment to reach out to someone who you think could use a listening ear each week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment