Monday, December 19, 2011

Holiday Outreach Program, December 17th, 2011

I have to admit... I was really excited to volunteer at this event... since I signed up for "Toy Distribution".
I am sad to say, it was not what I expected.

People signed up for this event, and they arrived and checked in, and were given a ticket with a number on it.  They brought that ticket over to me, and I would call off the numbers, and a few other volunteers were in the back grabbing the bags that had the matching numbers on them.  The bags were big black trash bags, and they had the toys inside.  90% of the people grabbed the bags and moved on, not even saying thank you.  There were also women taking these donations with nice acrylic nails, some even airbrushed... they had their hair done... it just bothered me.  If you are accepting donations for your children for the holidays, yet hair your hair and nails done, perhaps your priorities need to change. Drastically.

Regardless, it was a nice event, and the participants were also given food.  There were a few people who were extremely thankful and that made it worth it.  Some of the children were adorable as well, and very thankful.

I volunteered at this event by myself, but the organizer of the Meetup group I belong to stopped by and took some pictures, which I will share below.

Me, standing in the doorway where I took peoples tickets to call of the numbers.  Hands on my hips, sassy as ever :)









No comments:

Post a Comment