Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Upcoming Volunteer Events

This weekend I am volunteering at a Senior Center... its only an hour and a half, and we get to celebrate this months birthdays then spend time with the seniors... talking, listening, laughing... The residents are in the memory care program... so Im sure it is going to be a little emotional... reminding me of my grandmother - but I am happy I get to experience this.

I have also signed up for a few Sunday evening shifts at a homeless shelter I have wanted to be involved with for years!  I pass this homeless shelter on my way home from work every day, and I also did when I worked at Ambrosia.  It is only open during the "cold months" and every night when I passed by previously (Its not open yet this year) and I saw the long line of people waiting - and so many children... it made me cry.  Every.  Single.  Night.

I couldnt figure out how to volunteer in the past, but now I am able to do so through the Volunteer Meetup group I am part of.  I am so excited.  I think its going to be hard, but I am up for the challenge.  In the past I have always wanted to make little bags of goodies and wake up early one Saturday or Sunday and take them to the homeless people sleeping in the park next to this shelter.  I never did because I always wanted someone to go with me, for a few reasons.  Safety was one.  However this year, I am going to just do it.  I have learned, sadly, if I want to do something, the best way is to just do it on my own - otherwise it wont happen.  That being said, if you are interested in joining me, please let me know and we can pick a morning.  I plan to just get snacks at the dollar store and pack them in small bags with handles so they are easy to hand out, or leave next to someone if they are sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment