Monday, September 24, 2012

2012 Foster Care Auxillary Picnic

I volunteered yesterday for the second year in a row at the Foster Care Auxillary Picnic. 
I was assigned to a game again this year, and chose a football toss game... along the same lines as last year but it was footballs instead of beanbags, and footballs hitting your face, arms and legs... hurt.
This year seemed a little different than last year... it was less crowded, for one - and just had a different vibe to it a little bit.
I think perhaps it had something to do with it being over 90 degrees and everything was in the sun.  It made everyone a little more tired, run a little slower, etc.
Today, I feel like a very old lady... from bending down for four hours straight to pick up footballs, I almost cant move today at all.  
But it was worth it.  It was fun watching some of the youth make the footballs in, when they said, "I suck so bad at this"... and then making it... repeatedly.  We had a lot of kids play our game over and over again - same thing happened last year.  We know how to pick the best game ;)

I worked the game with "Wiseman" again - and he is the leader of the Meetup group So Cal Volunteers United - which is where I have found many of the volunteer opportunities I am involved with.  He is amazing at posting opportunities, and I am super thankful he does it.  We had a chance to catch up and talk, it was cool.

They had someone dressed up as The Queen of Hearts who I believe made balloon toys for the kids, lots of games, rafts in the little water area, a bounce house and slide, cotton candy, hair and make up for the girls... Each youth got a pillow case when they arrived to collect their loot in.  Each game gave them tickets that they could redeem for prizes.  It looked like they got a cool lanyard from Disneyland with a pin on it as well... and Im sure other things I didnt get to see.  They had pizza, sodas and water for everyone as well.  Great day all around - the kids looked like they had a great time.  They had a Zumba dancer and a performer as well - but I cant remember her name - an up and coming artist :)

Here are a few pictures:

 Me and Wiseman in our game tent
 Me and Rosie - she is from the Meetup group also, she was there for Set up so I only chatted with her for a few, but she was very sweet.
Wiseman and Me again - by the pirate ship at Kiwanis Island, I dont think this was used for the picnic.

No comments:

Post a Comment