Thursday, November 24, 2011

We Give Thanks, November 24th, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

This morning I participated in "We Give Thanks".
This was their 25th year!!!

I was assigned in the "kitchen" area.  Everything was outside, in the parking lot of the Honda Center.  I was with a few other people and we were in charge of the vegetables.  Carrots and Zuchinni.  We had to cut the bags, and drain them... as "Grandpa Jerry" said, "Just stick the knife in and twist, the way the do in a stabbing in New York City".  He was wearing a biker jacket, with a Prison Gang emblem.  I laughed nervously, and moved away from Grandpa Jerry and his knife  :)

We would cook 12 bags of carrots and 4 bags of zuchinni at a time.  Once they were done, we drained them again and passed them off to another group of people who dumped them into containers ready to be served.  I got burnt a few times, but its all good.

They were expecting 18,000 attendees today, for a free Thanksgiving meal.  The line was long and the area was packed!
We were able to sneak away at the end and get a little taste of the food.  It was amazing.  The stuffing had onions, celery, rice, bread, crushed tortilla chips and so much else in it.  I watched them make it all day, I was glad I got to taste it.  The mashed potatoes were done with a machine that looked like a huge power saw.  It was all so neat.  Channel 9 was there, as were every other channel, but Channel 9 spent a lot of time over by us, so maybe my face will be in their coverage somewhere :)

I have always wanted to volunteer on Thanksgiving day, and I have never been able to, because everything fills up so fast.  I am thankful I got to do this today!  Now, I should probably shower and head to south county for my Thanksgiving feast :)


Inside the "Kitchen"... Volunteers
Early, before anyone arrived...
Two of the girls I volunteered with on the vegetables... Dalia, and I dont remember the girl in the middles name.
"Grandpa Jerry" tested a carrot from every batch, to make sure they were ready :)
The girls, again
This, was the stuffing.  SO good!
Grandpa Jerry on carrot patrol
A view from the street, as I left
The vegetable end product
The t-shirt they gave us volunteers
The tables all set up before the event started

No comments:

Post a Comment