Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Special Olympics Fall Games - Saturday, November 12th

I volunteered with the Special Olympics, Fall Games this past weekend.  They were in Fountain Valley and I chose to volunteer for the bowling.  

In the orientation meeting, they mentioned there were two lanes that would have bowlers using ramps - because they might be in wheelchairs, or on a gurney, and they couldnt lift the ball.  I will admit, in orientation I was hoping I would get one of these two lanes.  And I did  :)

I started out with three bowlers and one was removed.  I had two girls, one was in a wheelchair and one was able to walk.  

Frances, was in a wheelchair.  When she arrived, I asked her caretaker if she had a ball and shoes already.  Her caretaker just looked at me funny.  Shoes?  Sigh.  Oops.  I asked Frances her favorite color, she said pink.  I went to get her a ball, and made sure she liked it before I put it on the lane for her.

Wendy was able to chose her own ball, and she chose a really pretty blue / silver one.  

My alley and the one next to mine, had ramps.  Frances was wheeled up to the ramp, and I would retrieve her ball each time and put it on the ramp for her, and then she would push it down, and it would go down the lane.  She was really funny - she talked to the ball.  "Come on ball, help me out ball, lets do this ball..."  It was awesome.  When Wendy didnt have a good bowl, she would tell her to talk to the ball.  

The girls were REALLY big on high fives, and Wendy liked to hold my hand.  She got really close to my face and was studying my makeup... pointing out everything I was wearing, and wanted to know why I dont wear lipstick.  Ive never really thought about that, so I just told her it seems to come off fast, so I dont bother wearing it.

After they bowled, two games each, they did the awards ceremony. Usually they are outside, but due to the rain, they did them right on each lane.  We were lane #1 so we went first.  Both of my girls got first place medals.  I was so proud.  They really had a great time, and so did I.  It was pretty humbling, and I teared up a few times just sitting there watching everyone.  





No comments:

Post a Comment