Friday, November 11, 2011

Foster Care Auxillary Picnic - September 18th, 2011

On September 18th, I volunteered with Orangewood Children's Foundation for their Foster Care Auxillary Picnic.

This event was for foster children and their families to attend.
There were crafts for the kids to do, and games for them to play.
There was a small water area where the kids could do bumper boats.
I was in charge of one of the games, where you threw bean bags into slots and got tickets.

The game I worked, was everyones favorite.  I think because it was the easiest to get tickets.  

There was one little girl, who was my favorite child of the day.  She had her face painted and she was adorable.  She kept coming back to our game, and counting her tickets.  I asked her what she was playing for, and she said her cousin was not able to come to the picnic, so she wanted to get enough tickets to buy her cousin a stuffed animal.  I thought that was so sweet, I asked her how many tickets she needed.  The picnic was ending about 5 minutes later and she needed 10 or 15 more tickets.  She played the game, and I handed her the 10 or 15 tickets she needed and she ran off SO excited to be able to get her cousin that stuffed animal.  It touched my heart that she was so excited to do something for someone else... at her age.  

This event was so organized, they provided so many things for the kids to do, they provided lunch for everyone who attended and everything went so smoothly.  I am looking forward to volunteering with Orangewood again.

If you are interested in volunteering with them:


No comments:

Post a Comment