Monday, December 24, 2012

December 23rd: Random Act of Holiday Kindness #23

I was out shopping with a friend yesterday... and those of you who know me, know I keep bags of snacks and toiletries in my trunk that I hand out for those I come across asking for help, food, etc.

Yesterday I was sort of annoyed at a woman holding a sign with a long description asking for help for her and her three children... I made a comment that she was dressed better than I was, her one daughter she had with her had a nice stroller, she had a top of the line diaper bag... and without skipping a beat, my friend said - Well, maybe they used to be well off and lost everything.

That being said, I felt really stupid and sort of guilty for my judgement... so in Target I bought snacks and filled up a gift bag that at least her children could eat, and my friend bought a gift card for them.
We got everything together, and as we left the shopping center, we stopped and gave her the goodies.  The first thing she said?
"How much is this for?" about the gift card.
I instantly regretted chosing her... but it is what it is, and there is obviously SOME reason she is out there begging, and at least we did not give her cash.  


No comments:

Post a Comment