Monday, February 20, 2012

Volunteer opportunity that just didnt work out...

Saturday morning, Melissa and I set out determined to volunteer in Garden Grove, serving food to the homeless.

We arrived at the "White House" a little early, and both quietly started to get really nervous.  The area was not good, and there were a lot of slightly scary people milling around.  Melissa noticed a massive amount of bugs gathering on my side view mirror on the passenger side, which I think is when we werent so quiet about how nervous we were doing this.  

We sucked it up, and jumped out of the car and went inside this house.  There were probably 30 Vietnamese kids, (turns out they were students who needed service hours and did not call ahead).  We tried to figure out what to do, and no one even acknowledged we had walked in the door, and the kids were running around teaching each other how to make coffee.  After probably 10 minutes, we decided to leave.  No one would talk to us, and there was nothing to do.  There was coffee and danish - and nothing was cooking in the kitchen - it was all very bizarre.

I talked to my friend later who set up the event, and he said it was a very bizarre experience for him as well (We did not see him when we were there).  But he told me about the students just showing up, and also that people brought food later, that they had cooked on their own...  just not really an organized thing... and I am thankful Melissa and I tried - and left.  I dont think it was the place for us to be.  I feel bad because it was her first time coming to volunteer with me, and honestly I have never had something like this happen... but we spend a great girls day together and it ended up being fun.

I have quite an entry to make about the homeless shelter last night, but I will wait until I have some more time, to make sure I get all the details in there :)

No comments:

Post a Comment